The St. Anne’s Shrine Preservation Society has received permission to relocate the 1893 statue, carved specifically for St. Anne’s Church from a single block of wood and which graced the great upper nave until its closure, back to the Shrine from the Cathedral.
Fr. Thomas Washburn, rector of St. Mary’s Cathedral, graciously agreed to the Society’s request that with the ongoing efforts by the Preservation Society to return St. Anne Shrine to active use in the diocese, in light of the 125th anniversary celebrations this year, the time was right for this magnificent carving to return to her home.
Plans are underway to carefully move her back in the near future and place her (for the time being until the upper church is opened) in the lower Shrine. We will keep everyone informed as to ceremonies surrounding her return.