There have been a lot of improvements going on behind the scenes to stabilize, repair, and improve the physical plant of our beloved St. Anne’s in the last three and a half years. So, it’s time to update our supporters and visitors as to what’s been going on.
- Three sump pumps have been installed to control flooding in certain areas within the Shrine. (Locations: Front hallway closet, adjacent to wheel chair lift & in Santo Cristo Chapel)
- The front steps to the church have been re-pointed having the old mortar joints and old calking removed and re-mortared.
- New concrete steps and railings from the side parking lot have been installed.
- The sprinkler system is annually inspected by a qualified building sprinkler company.
- All outdoor drain piping on the property was cleared and flushed by a professional drain company to clear blockages.
- The building has been toured with the Fire Prevention Dept. of Fall River Fire Dept. along with a crew of 15 firefighters to review location of sprinkler mains, valves, shut-offs, fire box, oil tank room and boiler room. Upper Church was toured and inspected as well.
- A new required radio signal fire call box was installed per Fire Department Specifications has recently been tested.
- The steam boiler was totally disassembled and all sections were re-gasketed and reassembled.
- The boiler is serviced on an annual basis and inspected annually by the State Boiler Inspector and has passed inspections.
- The Wheel Chair elevator has been put back into service, and inspected by State Elevator Inspector
- The Shrine now has the beautiful Immaculate Conception Gift Shop where all manner of candles, rosaries, bibles, prayer guides & cards are sold. There is a steady stream of regular customers that visit. We also take special orders for specific religious articles.
- The large St. Anne statue previously located in the upstairs nave was returned and installed (temporarily while work is done upstairs) in the Shrine.
- The Sacristy was built to move from its former closet to an area more fitting for priests and clerics to prepare for Mass and devotions.
- We purchased a tabernacle and altar for the Sanctuary.
- We purchased an altar for the Santo Christo Chapel.
- We purchased an organ for the Shrine for our events.
- The Santo Cristo Chapel has been renovated and is 98% complete.
- The Saint Joseph’s Chapel has been renovated.
- We have renovated the Men’s Room with painting, tilework, vanity and one toilet.
- The copper ridge on the roof was recently repaired which had sustained wind damage. Other roof repairs were performed to the upper gutter on the north side where many holes were discovered in the gutter liner. The holes were sealed.
- Clogged downspouts on the north side of building were unclogged.
- We are planning on doing the same type of spot repairs on the south side of the building prior to the larger roof project.
So…while improvements are being made, many are behind the scenes, but still contribute to the overall goal of restoring St. … Continue reading...